a Boutique Law Firm Providing Outside General Counsel Services
SKAFTE GLOBAL LAW, P.A.
Skafte Global Law is a boutique law firm providing outside general counsel services. The firm caters primarily to companies with a global network who require the legal services of a general counsel as well as an executive management presence on an as-needed basis. This provides an innovative client service that is a cost effective alternative for an organization that may not require a full time in-house general counsel. Some services include the establishment and development of an inaugural legal department, supplementing or overseeing existing in-house legal personnel, relieving volume overflow and retention for specific projects.
Founder – Law Firm | Board Member | General Counsel | Chief Operating Officer | Chief Human Resources Officer | Chief Corporate Compliance Officer | Multi-Engine Rated Commercial Pilot
Marie-Louise is licensed to practise law in the State of Florida (USA), the Province of Ontario (Canada) as well as England and Wales.
Prior to forming Skafte Global Law, P.A., she obtained extensive international experience working as a General Counsel and in other in-house roles for organizations of various sizes.
While Marie-Louise has worked in a variety of different industries, her legal career has been largely focused in the areas of general transportation, marine container leasing, air express, freight forwarding and logistics. She is a practical, business and service minded lawyer who is adept at identifying key issues and working within budget constraints to find desirable solutions that align with the strategic goals of her clients.
Marie-Louise is also proud to be part of an esteemed profession in aviation as she is a Multi-Engine rated Commercial Pilot.
In addition, Marie-Louise has held various board and committee positions both for profit and nonprofit organizations. She was a former Legislative and Regulatory Affairs committee member of the Canadian Courier and Logistics Association and was a featured legal luminary discussing the “Effects of Global Business” as well as diversity within the legal profession.
Marie-Louise is also an active member of various bar organizations.
She is currently a member of the Board of Directors for One Love Foundation, Corporate Counsel Women of Colour, and a Dean’s Cabinet Member at Suffolk University Law School.
- Acted as company General Counsel and Global Head of Human Resources for the sale of a majority private equity owned container leasing company headquartered in Bermuda with operations in 18 countries to a competitor publicly traded in China on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange – deal valued at just under $1 billion
- Acted as company General Counsel for a Canadian company valued at $2.2 billion for the sale of an air express domestic business line to a competitor publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Success in the establishment and maintenance of an inaugural legal department in Canada for an international company headquartered in Germany and operating in 220 countries
- Represent and advise a non-fiction international speaker and author
- Advisory work for a U.S. based consulting firm restructuring and expanding operations globally
“Marie-Louise applies high levels of creativity, determination, discipline and integrity to everything she does in her professional life and is a pleasure to work with.”
Doug Turner, President, Obsidian Consulting Inc.
Practice Areas & Consulting Services
Included But Not Limited To:
- The establishment and development of an inaugural legal department or the assistance to augment an existing legal department
- The retention of de facto general counsel on an interim or part time basis
- Overseeing or supplementing existing in house counsel personnel
- The retention of outside counsel for specialized matters and the ability to act as a liaison between company personnel and existing outside law firm counsel
- The development of an understanding of the client’s business and strategic objectives
- The establishment of beneficial relationships with company executives
- The provision of volume overflow relief
- Day to day legal support in an efficient and cost effective manner
- Assistance with specific projects
- Contracts (sales, marketing, procurement, distribution, professional services, etc.)
- Policy drafting and training
- Corporate formation and governance (including attending board meetings and drafting board minutes)
- Corporate compliance review
- Real estate and leasing (real estate and equipment) agreements from both landlord and tenant perspectives
- Risk management policies and procedures and claims review
- Employment and immigration matters
- Mergers and acquisitions (such as, transaction, due diligence and deal support)
- Intellectual property portfolio management
- Pre-litigation dispute resolution and management